Monday, August 18, 2008

Checking the gravity.

I snagged some beercaps over at Beers of the World and then headed to my place to check the gravity of the wort.  It's currently around 1.015, which is where it should be.  If all goes well (meaning I'd have to check it tomorrow and/or Wednesday), I'll be bottling it on Thursday.

I also picked up some Munton's CarbTabs, which you use in place of priming sugar for bottling.  I've never used them before, but Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing" says that you'll get a better beer by decreasing your sugar.  I've got to do more research before I get into messing with them, though.  I can always use them for a later batch.

I ALSO (since they were inexpensive) picked up two ounce-big packets of hop pellets: Willamettes and Styrians.  I'd like my next beer to be an original recipe; not that I think I'm that good at homebrewing already (I'm not), but I look at it as an experiment to get the hang of what to do/what not to do.  I have to snag malt, but I'm not going to worry about that yet.  I'm shooting for a brew date of Labor Day Weekend -- I've also gotta snag a bucket for secondary fermentation.

No comments: