Friday, August 29, 2008

Check up, and pumpkins.

It's been a few days since we bottled the beer.  I checked it yesterday morning -- no sign of carbonation yet.  I know I shouldn't expect it this soon, but I figured since I'm keeping track of the batch like this, I should make a note of it.  Nothing's exploded, so I presume all is going well.

I got to thinking about future batches of beer.  My future sister-in-law has mentioned her love of Harvest Moon lately, and it got me to wondering: what are they using to impart the pumpkin flavor in there?

I suppose you could steep pumpkin in some boiling water and strain the hell out of it, and add the wort to it for primary fermentation.  My other thought was roasting pumpkin seeds and steeping those in a mesh bag during secondary, although that might give more of a nutty flavor than a pumpkin flavor.

No comments: