Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Three weeks in the bottle.

It sounds like a good album title.  Or song title.

Nevertheless, my beer has been bottled for three weeks.  Given that it's now September 16th, and it was brewed on August 8th, that's not a bad lifespan thus far.

I took a six-pack of it over to my job this morning, so a couple of co-workers could try it out.  Brendan had tried it when I'd first brought a couple of bottles over, and he instantly noticed a change in the flavor from back then.  Better, richer, "wheatier" (as he put it).  I cracked one open and noticed it myself.  Was that wheat I tasted?

I brought in the owner of the restaurant, Joe, who knows his beer pretty well.  His was an opinion I wanted.

He sampled it, and made the following observations (not verbatim):
  • it had good body to it,
  • it wasn't overly bitter,
  • he didn't think it "wheaty" but definitely tasted malt,
  • he wouldn't call it an IPA because it's too dark (but he would call it a pale ale)
  • it was hoppy to his liking, but not insanely hoppy.
He suggested that next time I brew, I go easier on the crushed malt steeping at the beginning of the process.  That would alleviate some of the malt flavor (which I'd like to lessen, so that was good advice).  

It was beer well received by both co-workers, so I was happy.  I don't intend on drinking any more of it until the 28th, when I brew again.  I still have to get the DME and a nylon bag for steeping the crushed malt, but aside from that, it's all systems go.

No comments: